FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Prevention is Possible

...Since I began my full-time mission as public speaker and advocate of sexual assault in January I have done my best to keep myself informed of all the latest news, TV and movie related releases, legal matters and awareness campaigns. In doing so I have come across a new and exciting trend of prevention tools. I did my research on each of them, personally reached out to their creators and promoters and supported their fundraising financially. They have personal stories as to the inspiration and development of each prevention tool. As part of my own personal awareness campaign I wanted to provide and share the information. They are all different types of tools but their ultimate goal is to provide prevention and protection against sexual assault.

First, I became aware of Safelet in June which is a product out of Amsterdam. Safelet is a safety bracelet that can notify your friends and family where you are and that you need help. It allows you to dial an emergency number via Bluetooth connection to your smartphone. It's designed to protect in a situation where you are not able to reach your phone and need to send out an alert fast. There are two types to choose from and currently in the pre-order stage.

The next three prevention tools and what they offer affected me personally as they are specific to drug induced sexual assaults.

I learned about PD.ID which is a product out of Canada. PD.ID is a small battery-operated device that will identify whether a drink has been drugged by dipping the end of it into your drink. If the drink has been altered in any way a small LED light will make an indication. I like that it's small, discrete and reusable. They have recently completed their fundraising campaign.

What caught my attention with Undercover Colors was my love for having continuously polished nails. This product is also discrete as their is nothing uncommon about women having a manicure. This fashion company out of North Carolina is the first working to prevent sexual assault. The nail polish changes color in the presence of date rape drugs. They are currently in the research and development stage.

Finally, we come to DrinkLock out of Washington D.C. It is the world's first and only 'Reverse Coaster'. What was important to me about this product besides the obvious prevention benefits is that it was developed by a male bartender and his personal experience. It's important for the public to know that men can be victims of drugged drinks. DrinkLock doubles as a "Reverse Coaster" mat until the consumer's need of applying the seal in situations such as leaving their beverage unattended. It is currently in the fundraising stage.

Click on the links provided below to learn more and support them if you decide to do so.

SAFELET - The Safety Bracelet

PD.ID - Personal Drink ID

UNDERCOVER COLORS - Nail Polish

DRINKLOCK - Reverse Coaster

No comments:

Post a Comment