FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Never Forget Why

...Yesterday I had a conversation with someone interested in telling my story and it reminded me why I started on this path in the first place. Even before the public speaking and before the counseling it all began with that 2 hour interview at the Special Victims Unit in Philadelphia and Detective O'Malley. As he took my statement walking me through meeting Jeffrey Marsalis and the horrible night that changed my life forever, he informed me of the previous accusations in which he drugged and raped other women and the current growing investigation that I was part of I became more and more angry. I learned of the horrific details of the rapes he committed before and after I met him and how I was right in the middle of it. At the end of the interview I was asked if I wanted to press charges and my answer was "Hell Yes!". It was also at that moment where I made a vow and commitment to myself.

As time passed and I moved through the preliminary hearing, the two trials and the counseling I learned more about myself and what were positive steps towards my healing process. I made the decision to speak out and tell my story to advocates and college students so I could share my experiences in hopes of helping other rape victims come forward and heal. I also wanted what happened to me to serve as an awareness and prevention tool. Then once I began my advocacy campaign my mission broadened until that conversation last night and it hit me I should never forget why I started all this and a very positive reality check.

What I don't ever want to forget is that Jeffrey Marsalis is a rapist with no sense of remorse. If given the chance he would rape again. Although he was sentenced to 21 years in a Pennsylvania Prison and upon his release he will be transferred to an Idaho prison where he will serve out a Life sentence. There is the potential for Parole after 15 years which I'm told is highly unlikely due to his status as a sex offender and the large number of victims. If parole was granted he would be approximately 70 years old. In order for that not to happen its important to keep his name and the vicious crimes he committed and all the lives he's negatively affected in the news for as long as possible. As long as the public and those part of the justice system are reminded of his numerous acts of drugging and raping women he committed over many years the less likely he will be granted parole out of sympathy for his advanced age at the time. 

Many of his victims did not or could not speak out for what are very complicated reasons only known to those having been sexually assaulted. Many of his victims who did come forward found the charges brought against him on their behalf to have a jury decide on acquittal. All of these factors do not lessen the validity or impact of his attacks on all the women unlucky enough to have met and "dated" Jeffrey Marsalis. He is considered one of if not the worst date rapists in this country and I will stay committed to my promise that December 22, 2005 to do whatever it takes for however long it takes to put him in prison and keep him there for the duration of his life...

No comments:

Post a Comment