FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Friday, October 10, 2014

A Powerful Statement

...I woke up this morning to the exciting news that Malala Yousafzai was the joint winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. It immediately put a smile on my face so early in the day. Malala was the 15 year old girl shot by the Taliban on her school bus in Pakistan on the way to school. It has been nearly 2 years to the day and in that time she has led a worldwide campaign for female education activism. At 17 she is the youngest to ever win the Prize and deservedly so. Like many around the world I am inspired by her story of courage and her relentless pursuit to spread her personal message despite the potential threat to her life.

It's moving that a young woman such as Malala speaks beyond her years and motivating to me. I am 30 years her senior yet I look up to her. Although my own personal campaign to speak out and advocate against date rape and sexual assault is challenging and I sometimes feel as if I am climbing a mountain it can not compare to what Malala has faced in her short life. She did not go into hiding after being shot but once healed from her physical wounds she was energized to speak even louder and hasn't looked back.

Her words "When we all stand up together then we are more powerful than them." stuck with me. I can translate this statement into what I am doing regarding sexual assault awareness and the violent criminals who perpetrate the crimes. If the victims/survivors/advocates/law enforcement and prosecutors all stand together then we are more powerful than them. With hard work and unity we can bring them to justice! Not even a Taliban's bullet stopped Malala so nothing should stop me from my daily mission.

Today is the Global Fund for Women International Day of the Girl challenging everyone to recognize girls as they truly are which is Superheroes. Malala Yousafzai is one of those Supergirls. We could all use some inspiration every once in a while and on those rare but occasional days when I'm feeling frustrated with getting my message across I will think of her...

No comments:

Post a Comment