FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Ambien & Sexual Assault

...In early August I was referred to a reporter who was developing a story pertaining to the prescription drug Ambien being used in several sexual assaults by former NFL player Darren Sharper. This reporter wanted to speak to victims/survivors who had been drugged and raped to help in his development of the story. As always I am thankful when the media wants to put a spotlight on any sexual assault cases and eager to help in any way that I can.

I was well aware of this particular case being brought against the former football player not to mention sickened and saddened by the fact that rapists are finding newer and easier ways to victimize women. Ambien is prescribed by doctors as a sleep aid but in the mind of a monster it can be used to violate and sexually assault their prey. I wasn't sure what the reporter would need from me but I contacted him immediately and he called shortly thereafter to discuss his developing story and my experiences. Although my personal knowledge of any Ambien related sexual assault cases was none I had a number of resources to tap into that may be aware of victims willing to speak about their assaults. The reporter provided me with the specifics of his report and investigation and I got started emailing my contacts locally and nationally.

The responses came very quickly and all offered some form of assistance. Most didn't have first hand knowledge of sexual assaults being facilitated using Ambien but they were all aware it was a growing form of date rape drug and had plenty of their own references and contacts to offer me and pass along to the reporter. It was satisfying to know that although the victims of this type of assault are not widespread or leading to an epidemic type level those who need to know are on the forefront and doing their best to educate. I only wish the same was happening 10 years ago before I was drugged and raped. At 37 years old and someone who then and now stays well-informed of local, national and world news the subject was barely a whisper and certainly not enough for me to suspect the men with whom I was going out on dates may spike my drink.

Date rape awareness campaigns for college students or adult women & men frequenting bars and parties are everywhere in the news and the drugs being used by offenders up until recently were bought on the streets or mixed up at home as was with my case. Only now Ambien, an easily obtained prescription for anyone complaining of insomnia or trouble falling asleep, opens up an entirely new can of worms. For now the reporter continues to work on this story and as soon as it's complete I will share it.

I hope with this blog I have made one person aware today who was not yesterday about this particular subject and they can pass it along to someone else. If it can prevent just one person becoming a victim I will be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment