FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Media and Promotion

...June was a really good month for me in terms of expanding my public speaking and advocacy horizons. 

First I received an email from my colleague at Strength United who had gotten a request from a production company with a documentary show in development. They were looking for sexual assault survivors like me who had gone through with the legal process and comfortable talking about my experience. Just like with Primetime Crime and Very Bad Men I was glad to hear about any media exposure of awareness for rape and sexual assault. Instead of being interviewed in front of the camera I would serve as a consultant behind the scenes that could assist them with navigating through questions they had for parts of the layout of the show. I thanked Ann for the reference and contacted the show's producer immediately. We had a very nice conversation as he informed me of what they had planned for the show and I filled him in on what the past 10 years had been like for me. I was then given all the details over the phone which was followed up with an email of the agenda for their day of filming. That day I met other brave victims/survivors and advocates and we all shared our stories with each other. Many times you learn the overall experiences are similar. When this happens I feel comforted in knowing sadly it's not just me dealing with those thoughts and feelings. I also met with the entire show staff. These people were amazing and supportive and very appreciative of the time we donated that day. We all felt good about the direction of the show and confident the project will be successful. I am bound by a confidentiality agreement at this point but will share more once I know the show will air on TV.

Then Steve had interviewed an agent for his podcast and he relayed my story and what I was doing to him. His guest generously offered to have me contact him because he knew of the perfect woman (an Agent) that I could get in touch with for advice, etc. Securing an agent was on my list but before I did that I had several other things to accomplish first before doing so including a website I was proud of and building up my resume a bit more which I had been doing thanks to speaking I had done in the LA area and the podcast's. It was the perfect time to get to that item on the Expanding my Business list. So I contacted the agent letting her know how I was referred to her and gave her everything she needed to know about me and what I was doing. She responded very quickly and filled me in on a new business venture she was involved in that her friend wasn't even aware of yet. It was called Girls Fight Back a "Sassy Self Defense Guide" which offers practical and empowering options for young women to learn violence prevention and self-defense. She kindly offered to meet with me and I very much appreciated her taking valuable time out of the day to do so. We met for about 45 minutes and she provided me with advice for my website, promoting myself and my business and a lot of other information that I couldn't wait to take home and implement. I was grateful!

Next and in my never ending research to learn all I can about the business I was in and how to get my message out there with as much exposure as possible with respectable organizations I continued to reach out to women's only organizations. Who better to know how to run a female business and promoting themselves than women who have done it before. I found a great organization call Women's Media Center who offers a database of experience, talented women from all backgrounds to the media specifically looking for this demographic. Since I had television and radio interview experience I jumped at the chance to complete the application and submit it. This could open a lot of doors in which to get my message out to even more audiences. I very proudly received my acceptance a week later and all the information I needed to know as a part of their database of women. I was flattered an excited to be part of a prestigious group of women and looking forward to the doors it will open for me.

Six months into JoAnnSpeaksOut and I was off to a good start if I may say so myself!!...

If you're interested in learning more about the organizations I mentioned below are the links:

Girls Fight Back

Women's Media Center 

No comments:

Post a Comment