FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

When Opportunity Knocks

...In early August I received an email from the prosecutor on my case Joe Khan regarding a documentary interview request. Joe continued to have our best interests at heart and served as gatekeeper for any press requests. He had been contacted by a Canadian production company who creates documentary and non-fiction programming and distributes internationally. The story producer and researcher for Very Bad Men was in the early stages of developing an episode on date rape and Jeffrey Marsalis as part of their 4th season for their 30 minute true crime show and was interested in having one of his victims tell their story as a cautionary tale. They already had interviews with detectives from Idaho and Philadelphia set up. Joe included the original email from the producer and asked that if we were interested in participating we can contact her directly. 

I couldn't believe what perfect timing this was for me as I was preparing to embark on my new public speaking venture. This time I was emotionally ready to appear without a disguise and it would give me additional interview skills and experience. I responded quickly to Joe with a thank you and let him know what I was up to as far as my future was concerned. I then immediately looked up the production company to see their credits and was very impressed not to mention excited for the prospect. I emailed the producer with a brief list of my speaking accomplishments and having previously interviewed with ABC News. She responded by saying how important a victims perspective would be for the show then we set up a time that evening so she could do a pre-interview and also included a link so I could watch some clips of previous seasons episodes. We spoke for about an hour and a half most of which was me telling her my story in which she only interrupted a few times with questions. She was very supportive, offered some kind words and answered any questions I had regarding what her plans were for the layout of the episode, what our next steps would be and when it would air.

Two weeks later she reached out to provide me with several filming dates and asked which worked for me. Their crew was going to be in the area filming the prosecutor, detective and another victim and they were coordinating everyone's schedule. I was given a list of dates for the 2nd week of October which worked perfectly since I would already have quit my job and starting the process of packing and moving. In a strange coincidence the very next day as I was corresponding with Joe Khan he relayed to me that he was informed by ABC News that they would re-air the Primetime Crime special but on 20/20 August 30th. I was not only happy to hear that the show was still being put on TV for the opportunity of even more viewers exposure to the crime of date rape but that it was going to be on the prestigious 20/20. I shared the news with my family and close friends and everyone tuned in except ironically for me as I was on a plane that evening to LA to spend my Birthday weeks vacation with Steve but he recorded it and we watched the next day. 

I'm a believer in signs and all these things happening at a time when I was moving on with my speaking and advocacy for date rape and sexual assault were a good sign to me that I had made the right decision. It's not that I was afraid to leave my job behind and begin something different, I had done that several times before and knew I could adapt to any situation. It was just that it reinforced what I was doing was right for me. The next step in the interview process came when I was contacted by the production manager to narrow down the interview date, sign and return some documents, discuss how we would use my home to shoot the interview and the exterior for Broll and what I should and shouldn't wear for the interview. In the 2 weeks leading up to the interview she and I corresponded frequently regarding details for the big day so when it arrived I was admittedly nervous but excited and ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment