FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Friday, September 26, 2014

Very Bad Men Premiere

...I received the long awaited air date information from Make Believe Media for the documentary episode I filmed in October. It was scheduled for Tuesday May 6th at 9:00pm and it was titled 'Spin Doctor'. I liked it. The same eager, nervous, anticipation came over me as did when the original Primetime Crime episode aired. Both times I had put my trust into the media with my story and my interview which is saying a lot because we all know what can happen in the editing room but I was confident they would be respectful or I never would have participated in the first place.

First thing I did was start texting and emailing my family and friends the information. They were all interested in supporting me, seeing how I looked and sounded on TV not to mention in the show and how it turned out. I also wanted honest opinions from everyone since we are all our own worst critics. I felt they could be somewhat impartial. For the same reason I also decided to send the information to my former and current speaking contacts. I put an email together explaining my participation in the show and this particular episode and politely asked if they had a chance to watch I would appreciate feedback. This way I could get professional opinions.

Next I would promote the show on social media. The whole point of my agreeing to speak out in the media about my story is for as many people to view it as possible and to start or continue a conversation. This would include victims, survivors, family members or anyone else interested in being part of a change in the culture and how sexual assault is perceived in society. The day before the show I tweeted all the rape crisis/awareness organizations some of which I am involved with and used all the related hashtags I could think of. Steve was also very helpful (as usual) and because of his career in radio and comedy he has thousands of Twitter and Facebook followers and a much broader reach than I do currently. He immediately received dozens of messages of support for me and promises to watch the show. And as I have begun to learn when you share your story then someone will share theirs with you. Unfortunately he received a couple of these messages too.

On Tuesday we repeated the same social media promotion and then (because the channel aired East and West coast on cable) we sat down at 6:00pm to watch. The show was very well done, got the correct message across and I was surprised how much of my interview they put into the show which received the most air time. It's fascinating to me what parts of the hours long interview they use and all the interior and exterior B-roll. I was very happy with the final result. After it ended I got a lot of supportive calls and texts and messages even into the next day for those who had to record and watch it later. I emailed the production company to thank them for their work and professionalism. I believe that we don't give enough positive comments and they were deserved the praise. Everyone was supportive and had no criticism to offer me but honestly I would have liked to hear something in case I have the opportunity again. 

For now I would put the television media behind me because I would have some radio opportunities coming up as my next challenge...

The Very Bad Men series airs on Investigation Discovery channel and you can view a clip from the episode 'Spin Doctor' on their website or possibly On Demand it varies with cable providers.

No comments:

Post a Comment