FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Best Laid Plans

...In the days following the Very Bad Men interview I would continue packing, signing contracts with the moving company and car transport company and trying to rent my condo. My brother had just come back from a vacation with my sister-in-law to of all places Orange County and LA and had actually met up with Steve while out there. Then my mom was on her way to a cruise from Prague to Russia and would return only days before my final departure. On top of all that I had been included in Evite's to my friend's surprise birthday party and another friend's daughter's Christening. The reality was beginning to hit me that I will not be around anymore for all the events, holidays, parties, etc. I was the one who always said yes to every invitation. I spent a lot of time at my mom's in the Summer out by her pool and barbequing and in the Winter we would go to the movies. There would be no more Eagles football Sundays at my brothers. As I said before in the whirlwind of the past few months in anticipation of resigning from my job and my new life in LA I was taking one day at a time but now I was hit with the fact that life would go on after I was gone and I would not be a day to day part of it and that made me sad. It was way harder than I ever though it would be. The funny thing is I had gotten support from everyone and admittedly they were envious. But I suppose that's natural because I was going off to a new life and they would be home living theirs. The grass is most certainly always greener.

So I have talked about my OCD and my never ending planning and quest for perfection with anything I do but as much as I would like to I can't control everything. Monday morning October 14th I received a call from the auto transport company rep. My car was scheduled to be picked up the morning of Friday October 25th. I had an 8:30pm flight to LA that evening. The rep told me that they had a carrier in North Jersey and they could guarantee the rate given to me if I have them pick up the car the next day. Their schedule had changed and my original date wasn't available anymore. This was all explained to me when I signed the contract, shipping a car across the country is not as simple as you think. My mind began racing and I needed to think so I asked if I could call him back shortly. I had to call Steve because he was going to have to receive the car and at that point cash is required for the balance plus we had planned all along for me to get the garage space and his car would get street parking since it was older than mine. Then I had to procure a car to use for the next 10 days so I called my brother. My niece was away for her first semester at college and her car was parked in the alley behind their house, he said it was no problem to borrow but out of respect for her to send her a text to confirm, which I did and so did she. OK so obstacles overcome time to call back the rep. The driver would possibly be arriving that evening so I had to be on call but more likely it would be Tuesday morning. 

Then in a flash of clarity and brilliance I realized I could fill the trunk with luggage and boxes giving me more to unpack later while I waited that 10-21 days for the moving truck to arrive. The rep told me their was a weight limit on the car so don't go crazy but as long at it was out of site locked away in the trunk I could fill it up. I spent the rest of the day strategically packing and filling the trunk until their was no space left. The unexpected revision in my moving plan turned out to be not so bad after all. That night after the packing was done, the car was loaded and I finally was able to sit down and relax and talk to Steve he of course took a minute to remind me that it was all going to work out in the end. Up until that moment I had been frequently calling him in a panic near or in tears for whatever was stressing me at the moment. He would calmly talk me off the ledge so I could get on with the next task. That routine would continue not only until I got on the plane but until I took the last unpacked box to the dumpster the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

I still had a long way to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment