FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Monday, September 1, 2014

The Future is Bright

...The Spring of 2013 brought my return to speak at the Penn Victimology class and the Stockton TBTN along with the staffing changes at work after the long awaited departure of BL. At the same time Steve and I started talking about me moving out to LA and in with him. This was the only scenario that made sense for both our careers. In order for him to continue booking guests in the entertainment field he had to be in a city where they all lived and worked. Since my career path had sadly never brought me the satisfaction, recognition or salary that I deserved and he knew that we agreed it would be the perfect time for me to start fresh and pursue my dream of public speaking and advocacy for sexual assault victims and survivors. We were keeping these discussions to ourselves for the time being as I'm sure you may all know once a couple starts telling friends and family their plans the endless questions start that we weren't ready to answer. I would also transfer to the Make-A-Wish LA chapter and continue volunteering. This change in career and schedule also meant that I would be more flexible when choosing the types of wishes I could participate in and I could work on many more wishes than I was currently. 

These two things made me very happy at a time when my days at the office were going downhill. We had a revolving door of temps that were hired to cover the phones, open mail and other minor responsibilities while my boss searched for BL's replacement. This should have been easy right? Especially in the current job market. I think we all knew someone who was out of work and way overqualified for the jobs they were applying for so they could obtain employment. No, it wasn't, because my boss was impossible to please simple as that. She found something wrong with everyone. Each time we got a new temp, I along with the other member of my team had to take what little time we had and train the new employee. They would be there long enough to get adjusted to the staff and their daily tasks and then poof there they go for whatever reason. Then finally one morning in mid-June we were notified of the new hire. 

I was called into my bosses office to be given the good news or so I thought. She started to explain what was going to happen in the next few weeks as far as training and responsibilities and slips in that I would resume my "Receptionist" duties once the new girl was settled in. I couldn't believe what I was hearing because my boss told me months before the new employee would be taking that on. She denied ever saying such a thing and everything would go back as they were before BL left. As a side note I have a crazy good memory and remember everything (especially with such significance) said to me. I argued how I've been coming to her for 3 years about the overwhelming workload I had and that when the Receptionist was let go it would be "temporary" and with my years of experience prior to and with the company I deserved some type of respect and seniority over a new employee with no experience or the qualifications that matched mine. We were not on the same level whatsoever.

I admittedly lost my temper because in that moment a light went on in my  head and she had been yessing me to death and acting as if she was on my side when I came to her with my issues but all along she wasn't on my side at all. I was so angry and upset I got up walked out of her office passed my desk grabbed my purse and ran out of building in tears passing everyone by who was walking in the door and through the parking lot. I drove home (only 5 minutes away) to Steve and was inconsolable. I was talking through gasps and tears and it took him forever to calm me down and get to where I could speak clearly. He and my mom had been telling me repeatedly that I should slow down and stop giving so much of myself to the company that was giving nothing in return but more work. That is so hard for someone with OCD to do. I was home for almost 2 hours. We talked about our future and made a final decision on the date I would move out and when and how I was going to give my notice at work. But we were now going to spread the good news to our family and friends. We were both excited and we now wouldn't be living in limbo anymore. It was time to start our lives together!

I returned to the office although still upset I was feeling good about what I had to look forward to. I didn't seek out my boss and sat down to begin work for the day. I didn't realize I had forgotten my phone until I saw it sitting on my desk. I picked it up to see a bunch of texts from my coworker friends checking to see if I was OK. Obviously I had caused a slight stir when I ran out so upset because I passed so many people. I told anyone who asked what was going on with the new employee and how I had been lied to. It was discussed frequently how we didn't have a receptionist and the distractions it caused me throughout the day effecting my productivity and anytime anyone needed extra help they had no one to assist them. Morale had been dropping for the past few years and it was sad because it was such a great group of people and many had been there for more than 10-20 years and didn't like the direction the company had taken.

Well it wasn't my problem anymore. For the first time I was going to be selfish and I had a lot to do in the next few months to prepare for the move across the country. I couldn't wait to start sharing the news with my family and friends and once I did they were all so happy and supportive and excited for us both...

No comments:

Post a Comment