FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Friday, August 8, 2014

Return to Stockton College

...I was so excited to have been invited to speak at Stockton College I emailed my former counselor Laura to check in with her and share my good news. We had been through so much together and since she was responsible for igniting my interest in speaking she should know of my first event. Laura was happy to hear from me and a few weeks later she would be emailing me this time to ask if I would speak at the WOAR victim advocates volunteer training they run twice a year and always include survivor speakers. Of course I said yes! There were several date options provided to me and I chose June. The timing would work perfectly as I was going to use my speech from last year's Take It All Back event for Stockton and then edit it slightly to fit the volunteer training. I was nervous since my speech a year earlier had been very difficult and emotional but I had a lot going on at the time with the Idaho verdict coming back the day before and working on the ABC News interview. I was confident in my ability to get through the speech with a bit more poise.

Around the same time I received confirmation from Make-A-Wish NJ that my application had been accepted and I was scheduled for training in July. Wow everything was going the way I wanted it to. After having struggled the past few years and the feeling of not being in control (because that's what the legal and court process does to you) everything was finally going the way I wanted and it was amazing. I was also keeping myself busy with friends and family functions but now that I had my life back on track I wanted to start dating again but that had always been a bit elusive to me. Match.com was crossed off my list long ago, I tried eHarmony which was OK but still new at the time so I wasn't being matched up with anyone I connected with and although it was fun the Speed Dating fad had come and gone. I guess I would have to leave it in the hands of fate at this point.

I was in frequent contact with Elana from Stockton about my upcoming speech for their Take Back the Night (TBTN) event. They were putting a lot of effort into it since they decided to relaunch. The events were going to begin with the Clothesline Project in the afternoon. This is where victims express themselves on t-shirts in which the color signifies their type of assault. In the same wing of the building tables were set up with all kinds of fun activities, giveaways and also organizations relating to awareness and safe sex. I would then give my speech in the quad outside this area of the building and finally the theater group would put on their performance of "A Night of Sex". Elana sent a flyer for my approval as it was going to include my name. It was very flattering to be a highlight of the evenings events. See flyer attached below.

Finally the day arrived, I was not only excited to be part of this event but I hadn't been back to campus in over 15 years and I would get to again see not only where I spent 4 very happy years but also the new buildings that have been built as part of the campus expansion. I met up with Elana early and she introduced me to some representatives from the local rape crisis center that she works with and we waited for the students to arrive in the quad. I got up to the podium and gave my speech to a small but attentive group of students and was proud how I made it through with only a few brief pauses to catch my breath and push away tears. After the speech for the first time I would take a few questions which I really liked. Then we proceeded inside to stroll past the clothesline and tables set up and afterwards made our way into the PAC (performing arts center) which was sold out for the performance. Afterwards they thanked me for attending and we made our way to the parking lot. 

It was a very long day by the time I got home but I enjoyed every moment. Now I knew I would be ready for my next speech at WOAR...


1 comment:

  1. I remember you from training. This is a great post !

    ReplyDelete