FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Moving Forward

...The Fall of 2010 proved to be productive for my mission to continue to speak out and give back. In September I returned to WOAR for their 2nd of two yearly victims advocate volunteer trainings and then in December I received an email from the Asst. Director of Counseling at Stockton College requesting that I speak again for their next Take Back the Night event scheduled for April 2011. It put a smile on my face know I would be part of the colleges growing campaign against sexual violence. She would be organizing things differently as they would have a full day event into the evening. The afternoon would be the Clothesline project and Denim Day and the evening would begin with Walk A Mile in Her Shoes. This is where the male students put on women's heels and walk through campus to take a stand against sexual violence. It really is a site to see and as a victim of sexual assault very moving to witness young men taking a public stand for violence against women! Whenever I attend a TBTN event or a Speak Out I take extra time to thank the men that are in attendance as it's really important for women who have been violently assaulted to see how many good men are out there. The Walk would lead directly to the student center and the evening would end with a BBQ, then I would give my speech and they would open things up for a Speak Out. This is informal and anyone who feels comfortable can stand up and tell their story. It's usually very emotional as many times this is the first time a victim has ever spoken about their assault.

My personal 'giving back' campaign was also very busy. In September I volunteered for Make-A-Wish's annual Walk for Wishes fundraiser. I have now proudly participated in 5 of these walks and love the energy that comes from the volunteers, walkers, wish children and their families and sponsors. I was still waiting for my mentor but it was one of those right place, right time things and was paired up at the event. I had to complete two wishes as a mentee before being eligible as a Lead on a wish. My mentor and I quickly got to work to grant those two wishes and within a month I was signing up for as many wishes as possible. I have said this before about volunteering, the people you help are always so grateful but it's almost selfish what you get back from helping them. The children are amazing because they are just children and don't know to feel sorry for themselves for being sick. They greet you sometimes shyly, sometimes enthusiastically but always with a smile on their faces and the parents/families are sometimes moves to tears by the simple act of us granting their children a Wish. It's an wonderful organization to donate your time or money. When November came along they begin a collaborative campaign with Macy's called Believe where any child can stop by a section of the store dedicated to Make-A-Wish and write a letter to Santa. I signed up for that and weekly gathered up from the stores "mailbox to Santa" counted the letters and sent them to Make-A-Wish offices. Macy's donates $1/letter. While counting those letters you can't help but read the children's lists for Santa and I enjoy doing this every year. 

The Thanksgiving holiday was busy as it's not only one of my favorites (I love to cook) but one of my closest friends was getting married that weekend. It was crazy windy the day of the wedding but the church ceremony was beautiful and the reception after was great party! December was full of office and friends Christmas parties, the usual shopping and New's Years Eve was uneventful. But there was news my brother would share with me in early January that shook me up unexpectedly...

No comments:

Post a Comment