FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Great Escape

...As if it wasn't difficult enough that for the past year and a half dealing with the realization that I was drugged and raped and the subsequent trial prep and counseling since the previous November I had been on an exhaustive search for a new job. That month I had received my second yearly review and because of a mistake made by a marketing manager but not caught by my supervisor and I we had been written up. This led to the tiniest raise that a company could possible give you without taking money away. I also knew I couldn't continue working for a company who was promoting other less experience marketers than I and when it came down to it the job was not challenging me. Probably because I was suited for a more senior position. I also knew I wanted a complete career change all together since the past 10 years I spent in credit card marketing wasn't really doing it for me anymore.

Only a few weeks after the trial and verdict I got an email for a very small local job fair which I decided to attend. I had been job searching in the usual places and used employment agencies but nothing had come of it so far. At the job fair I saw a booth for a private charter jet company and their search for flight attendants. I had always loved traveling and been to many countries and continents around the world and thought this would be great so I approached the booth and began chatting with the Head flight attendant for the company. At the end of our conversation she said I was just the type of girl they were looking for and would be contacting me about an interview with the owners wife who did the hiring for that position. I walked away having a really good feeling and was excited. The very next day while sitting at my desk I received the promised call and had to step away from my desk to get all the details for my interview. This girl had not been BSing me. I went to that interview a few days later and within a week was hired and giving notice to my current company. Looking back now I subconsciously was looking for an escape from my current situation and flying around the world was going to provide that for me. 

I went through 4 days of intensive training with several other girls and it was fun. We were all excited about our new adventure and the current flight attendant's had plenty of stories to tell on how to deal with all kinds of passenger situations good and bad and we hung on every word. I would be flying on Gulfstream and Challenger jets with the passenger lists consisting of wealthy businessmen and families, A-list celebrities, musicians, athletes, dignitaries, national TV news anchors and reporters and soon enough I was telling my own exciting stories. There were a lot of perks to the job and I really enjoyed myself. I spent the rest of the Summer and early Fall jetting off to fun places with really cool people. I continued my counseling a bit more sporadically due to my odd schedule but the job was the best medicine I could think of to heal from the trauma I had experienced and it would put me in a better place for the next chapter of the long trial process. The sentencing date of Jeffrey Marsalis would soon be here...

No comments:

Post a Comment