FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Ready to Go Again

...Here we go again. It's Thursday morning and I'm getting dressed to go to court. Only this time, I knew the procedure and where I was going. Check my cell phone, go through security, take the elevator to the proper floor and make my down the hall outside the courtroom. The difference that day was obvious, only one other victim besides myself. There were no detectives as they had all testified on Tuesday or media although a few were going to be inside the courtroom. The prosecutor was there with a smaller team of associates but still there to be a show of support for me nonetheless. Joe and I talked briefly in that meeting room outside the courtroom doors then left me there to wait for him to call me in to testify.

It wasn't too long before the door opened and I was ushered into the courtroom and guided up to the stand by the bailiff. I took in my surroundings and also where everyone was in the room. I was walking down the far right aisle and to my left was the galley where the watchers sat. This included the press and the prosecution team was directly behind their table which was just past the gate I walked through. The jury box was to the right (not in use that day), the stand was directly in front of me and the judge to the immediate left. I walked up was sworn in and sat down. The bailiff was so kind to me, quietly asked if I would like some water, which I accepted and said to take my time and try to relax. There was no need for me to rush.

I can't tell you how much those few words and sympathetic gestures meant to putting me slightly more at ease. I was scared, unsure of myself at that moment, apprehensive. This whole thing was so unfamiliar to me (thankfully). Once I sat down I could then get a view of what was in front of me. It was overwhelming because in this particular courtroom the stand sits up a few steps so it's sort of like an SUV where you get to see everything below you. This was the moment when I was able to look to my right at the defense table and not only see his lead attorney whom I had seen being interviewed Tuesday night and saw quoted in those many newspapers I bought the day before but a second attorney on his team, a woman. What woman defends a man accused of multiple rapes and sexual assaults?! Clearly someone with a love of money and nothing else. I had little respect for this woman which turned out in my favor when the time came for me respond to the defenses questions.

Then I saw him, Marsalis, sitting to the far right of the table and thankfully the person sitting furthest from me in that room. He looked so different from the tall, good looking guy I met online and agreed to go on a date with. The past +1 year in jail had clearly taken its tole on his appearance, wow! I probably don't need to tell you that rapists do not do well in jail and he had been housed with some of Philadelphia's worst criminals all awaiting their court dates. It was mentioned at one point that he had to be put into protective custody because of the negative treatment he was receiving. A small consolation to me I can assure you and it could certainly be seen on his face. Yet he was still able to carry off that smug look and belief in that he did nothing wrong even to this day.

Seeing him most certainly unnerved me. It almost took my breath away but I had to remember why I was there and what he had done to not only me but so many women. There was no time to lose focus. As a victim I had a responsibility to myself and his other victims including those that could speak and did and those that could not or would not speak for whatever reason that didn't matter. I was going to tell the judge and a courtroom full of people what he did to me and how wrong it was. The bailiff then brought me the cup of water and it was time to begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment