FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Not So Fast

...During my interview/statement with Detective O'Malley I learned a lot about the developing case against my attacker and the upcoming January 2006 trial where he would stand accused of drugging and raping three women. Remember these were the charges in which Marsalis skipped bail and fled to Idaho only to rape again and that ultimately brought me into the investigation. Up until now I had only spoken with one person from the Philadelphia ADA's team and not him directly. The reason is there are certain steps that have to be taken when there is a possibility of a case going to trial. One being a victim's statement is given to the police first and then it's passed along to the district attorney's office so they can build their case for trial. 

I received a call from the ADA who had been working on all cases related to Marsalis' victims. His name is Joe Khan and I would soon learn what a brilliant, passionate attorney he was and dedicated to getting Marsalis convicted and put in prison. He is a kind and gentle man too. Just the right balance for someone dealing with victims of such heinous crimes as rape, sexual assault and domestic violence. It was because of his tireless efforts, everyone working in the Family Violence and Sexual Assault unit of his office along with the many detectives of Special Victims that it would make my involvement in this process just a little bit easier. In the months and years to come during the preliminary hearing and trial process Joe Kahn would earn status as my hero and many of the other victims. When I called he picked up the phone personally, remembered me immediately and would start right in on any discussion of case details I was calling about. He worked nights and weekends, I know this because I would receive calls from him during these particular hours. 

So Joe Khan called me in late January with good and bad news. First the bad news, Marsalis was acquitted on all charges brought against him by those three women BUT the good news was because, in part, of my statement and charges brought to police the detectives walked into the courtroom after the verdict and re-arrested him. I was told he was completely shocked and angry. That made me smile a little. Hey I would take those tiny victories every chance I got! He was taken back to jail to await the next preliminary hearing. Of course bail wasn't even an option since he had not only violated his previous bail agreement but committed the same crime again. Joe told me that I would be testifying at a preliminary hearing later that year (date TBD) and he would continue to be in contact with me as the details unfolded. Now it was time for he and I to meet face to face so we could review my statement given to the detective and he could ask me questions as part of the pre-trial preparation. He reassured me that his associate would be in the office with us, the one I originally spoke with a month earlier, and they would do their best to make me feel as comfortable as possible. We set the appointment, he gave me directions and said good-bye.

This would be another step in the marathon trial process...

1 comment: