FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Friday, July 4, 2014

Independence Day

With today being July 4th I wanted to talk about what it means to me in relationship to my life specifically our police and criminal justice system and the law. We can all agree that our Founding Fathers set up a template that we have had to amend as society evolves whether it be for good or evil. Many of the oldest rape crisis centers in this country were founded in the early 70's as women began to stand up, speak out and support rape victims. Rape and sexual assault protection laws have come a long way since then and even more so in the past 10-20 years for example the rape shield law which protects the identity (name and image) of a victim from being publicized and her past sexual history from being examined.

In my particular case the attack occurred in Philadelphia, a very large city with a budget for a special unit within the district attorney's office. Many large cities in the US have this unit along with their police departments having dedicated detectives for their special victims units. Unfortunately, the further you go from each major city in this country the less specially trained prosecutors and detectives they have to assist victims of sex crimes. As a result the cases can not be handled as best as they could if it occurred somewhere else. 

This brings me to one of the many reasons I do what I do today. That is to speak out against rape and sexual assault and advocate for those victims who did not receive the best representation. The more I speak out the better chance for conversations to be started in places it may not have in the past. Therefore when the next victim walks into a hospital or police station reporting an assault she or he will be examined by a SANE nurse, have an advocate from the local rape crisis center there to hold her or his hand, a detective trained in the proper way to take the victims statement without any judgement and then a district attorneys office that can take the case and prosecute it to the best of his or her ability. 

I believe I am on the right path and know this is possible. That's why I do it. I am a proud American and know deep down I live in a country where what I say and do makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment