FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR

To tell my story as a date rape survivor and communicate my message in a way that can help the most people.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Getting Out of There

...I found my purse and went for the phone first, seeing all these missed calls and messages from my mom. Since I was supposed to have been home fairly early the night before I had early plans to meet her and a family friend with our dogs at the dog park. Immediately my brain starts racing because blowing off plans is uncharacteristic of me and I felt terrible that my mom was worried. I called her and made up a story of having a migraine (which I get often) and not being able to leave the house. Since I already had a verbal exchange with my 'date' it was time for me to face him again and get out of there as quickly as possible. As I said before I was embarrassed for having what I thought was consensual sex with him and feeling violently ill. All I wanted to do was get home and into my own bed and sleep the pain away. He said he had a shift at the hospital (the details behind his career will be explained in later posts) and had to get up and out too.

My car was parked in a nearby garage so he got dressed and walked me out of his apartment building. He lived in Philadelphia and I just a few miles over the bridge in South Jersey so I had at least a 20 minute drive ahead of me. On the corner I saw a little convenience store and said I needed to grab something for the ride (water, a snack) which I did. He then walked me to my car we said goodbye and I was on my way home. It was the brightest sunniest day and without my sunglasses this only increased the pain in my head. I drove as fast as I could without jeopardizing my driving record and finally arrived home. My poor lonely dog greeted me excitedly but thankfully had the intuition to know I wasn't feeling well and followed me into my darkened bedroom for the remainder of the weekend. It was late Saturday morning and I didn't emerge until Sunday. 

When I woke up Sunday semi-recovered I couldn't get out of my head what had happened and why I couldn't remember anything. I replayed the night over and over but the puzzle was missing way too many pieces for my liking. Little did I know it would all come together only a year and a half would have to go by first. I was 37 at the time and been single most of my adult life which means I had a fair amount of dating experiences good and bad but never anything like that one. I decided since there was nothing I could do to change the events of that night I would mentally take responsibility for my own actions forget about what happened (what there was I could remember) and move on. So that's what I did...

No comments:

Post a Comment